Saturday, January 7, 2012

Weeks 4 & 5

Week 4 was pretty uneventful.  After injuring my calf at the start of the week, I took it easy.  I used the stationary bike and walked for the rest of the week.  I did attempt a few "shuffles" for my distance run last Saturday, but I didn't push it as I didn't want to be laid up having to recover from an additional injury.

Week 5 has definitely been better!  My first run of the week was on Monday the 2nd.  I had the day off work as a holiday, so I took myself to the gym and ran on the treadmill.  I figured the softer surface would be easier to handle, and I wanted to be able to run at a more steady pace so I could gauge where I was at.  It was a good run!

This was a real tough week at work, however.  We're going through year end close, so most days I've been in the office late.  Even though I was at the office later than usual this week, I still got home early enough on Wednesday to go for my scheduled run.  Yay!

Today's run was a distance run, and it was AWESOME!!!  I had 6.5 miles on the schedule, and I have to admit that I was a little nervous.  I've only done one other run that was anywhere close to that distance, and it was in April 2011.  But I made up my mind that I wasn't going to try to run it as fast as I could.  I was going to take my time and be comfortable.  It helped that I was running on a new trail so there were new things to see and experience.  I even took some pictures to share with you!

Total time:  1:43:12
Total distance:  7.0 miles (includes my warm up and cool down walks)
Average pace:  14:45/mile

I promised pictures, so here they are:

Start/Stop Point:


Turn Around Point:
The buildings you seen in the back of the picture are the Sport Park/Constable's Office buildings.  I ended the first leg of my run in the park.  They had restrooms!

The Road Goes On Forever!  ("And the Party Never Ends...")
This shot gives you an idea of what the landscape is where I was running.  It's a beautiful place.  And the weather was good.  

I took this picture on my run as well.  I thought the pattern of the root system was striking.

Next week's schedule is easier; 30 minute runs on Monday and Wednesday, and a 3 miler on Saturday.  And my work week should be easier, too.  More or less; it's all relative this time of year.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment